Tuesday, 4 August 2015
Upcycled muslins (FO)
The other night I got a little bit of sewing time and decided to mop up one of the WIPs on the 'pile'. A wee while ago I found a threadbare sheet softened from many washes, but too narrow for any of our beds. I decided to upcycle into some muslins (or burp cloths for those of a North American disposition).
Easy peasy. Here's what I did:
1. Cut the sheet into squares about 22 inches square (I think).
2. Because the sheet was worn - and had a few thin patches, and because I wanted to end up with something that has a bit of life left in it and can withstand quite a lot more washing, I used two squares for each muslin. I lined two squares up, whizzed around the edges with the sewing machine, leaving 3 or 4 inches open for turning.
3. Turned the two layers, so that the raw seams are on the inside, and finished the muslin with some top stitching to close.
4. Inspected for thin patches, and darned using a zigzag stitch on the machine.
5. Tidied up loose threads and press. Folded and admired. [Take pictures for blog*]
6. Gift to expectant friends.
* optional, obvs.
Clearly, these could have a number of uses, and small ones (about flannel/washcloth size) make good washable baby wipes, or window polishers, or dusters or whatevs. You know it.