Tuesday 4 August 2015

Upcycled muslins (FO)


Howdy chaps. 

The other night I got a little bit of sewing time and decided to mop up one of the WIPs on the 'pile'. A wee while ago I found a threadbare sheet softened from many washes, but too narrow for any of our beds. I decided to upcycle into some muslins (or burp cloths for those of a North American disposition).

Easy peasy. Here's what I did:

1. Cut the sheet into squares about 22 inches square (I think).

2. Because the sheet was worn - and had a few thin patches, and because I wanted to end up with something that has a bit of life left in it and can withstand quite a lot more washing, I used two squares for each muslin. I lined two squares up, whizzed around the edges with the sewing machine, leaving 3 or 4 inches open for turning.

3. Turned the two layers, so that the raw seams are on the inside, and finished the muslin with some top stitching to close. 

4. Inspected for thin patches, and darned using a zigzag stitch on the machine. 

5. Tidied up loose threads and press. Folded and admired. [Take pictures for blog*]

6. Gift to expectant friends. 

* optional, obvs.

Clearly, these could have a number of uses, and small ones (about flannel/washcloth size) make good washable baby wipes, or window polishers, or dusters or whatevs. You know it. 

2 comments:

  1. Hurrah! I did something similar by hunting out some brushed cotton sheets from charity shops and overlocking them into squares that I use to clean Dolores up after each meal rather than grabbing the disposable wet wipes every time. I like to think that's the kind of thing Nella Last would have done! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How satisfying - yes, really brill (although my MIL still likes to use the dishcloth to wipe sticky hands and faces! grrrr) I've made the hand/face/bum wipes from old t-shirts and baby clothes. You can usually get two reasonable sized squares from a baby/toddler t-shirt and you get to chop off the stained neck/sleeve parts! Although, anything reasonable and not too stained did get passed on rather than chopped up..

    Who doesn't love a bit of upcycling?!

    [goes off to research overlockers, cough]

    ReplyDelete