Sunday, 28 April 2013

Phoebe (WIP)

A new project cast itself on yesterday: Phoebe from Rowan Kids. I'm using some sparkly yarn I bought in the sale a few months ago. It's for a friends daughter, soon to be 5, and much neglected by me on the knitting front in times recent. 

It's just what I need while we wait for this new baby to arrive...

Wednesday, 24 April 2013


It's my husband's birthday today. He left for work early, so the grand presentation of gifts will come this evening.

I'm trying to finish this sock, so he'll have something handcrafted in the pile. We'll just gloss over the fact that this is sock no. 1, and there is no chance of sock no. 2 before then...

Happy Birthday my love.

Sunday, 21 April 2013

Charles (FO)

Wouldn't you know it: you wait ages for a FO and then 2 come along at once.

This is Charles (0-3 months) another pattern from Jaeger book JB29, knit in some Patons Diploma Gold (4 ply blue) and some grey yarn from the stash.

No modifications to speak of, although I am not terribly enamoured of some of the fiddly finishing around the neck, and I might do things a bit differently next time.

Dolly (FO)

Dolly is finally finished - she has taken an absolute age because of all the errors and false starts along the way.

Sewing up took longer than necessary because I managed to mismatch one sleeve and armhole, and it took a couple of attempts to apply the trim to the neckline without casting off and sewing on.

Anyway, here she is in all her glory: pattern is Dolly from Jaeger book JB29 size 3-6 months; yarn is Patons Diploma Gold 4ply - the colour is a deep raspberry.  Only modification was to apply trim directly without first casting off.

Wednesday, 17 April 2013

Sock repairs

I like knitting and wearing socks, and as you might know, I tend to take a thrifty approach to such things - using up odds and ends of sock yarn where I can.

To this end I have a lot of stripey socks made using a grumperina stripe. However, these seem to be most prone to wearing out, and I have a couple of pairs that need regular inspection and darning.

Last week I decided to try another approach, and instead of darning, I cut the toes off, picked up the stitches and reknit the sock. I managed to find some complementary odds and ends in the stash, so the new toes aren't too obvious.

I like! Much quicker than knitting new socks, and nicer (for me) than darning....

Sunday, 14 April 2013

Charles (WIP)

A new project cast itself on yesterday. Something for a new baby - I was powerless to resist, and couldn't go to bed until the moss st border was done.

This morning 'Charles' has joined me in bed for a few quick rows while I enjoy a cuppa and listen to the radio. The rest of the family are out at mini rugby, braving the wind and rain, so it's just me and the bump.

Tuesday, 9 April 2013

Baby blanket (FO)

Tis done: one vintage blanket rescued and repaired.

I decided in the end to be honest about my contribution, and didn't try to replicate the original stitch pattern. I did emulate the thrifty feel by using up some odds and ends from the depths of the stash.

I think it works quite well, and once it has been washed, it'll be straight into the basket of baby things.

Friday, 5 April 2013

Itchy fingers

I'm trying to finish off some old/ existing projects, but my fingers are itching for something new. This morning I got this blanket out of the basket, and started some repairs....

As it's all about repairing and stashbusting then clearly. It. Does. Not. Count...

Thursday, 4 April 2013


School holidays are now shaping our routine. Today I'm having lunch with my son, just the two of us (and the bump, and a sock of course)

Wednesday, 3 April 2013

Technical hitch...

The tinterwebz at our house is broken, so my plans for loquatious April blogging are on hold just now... It's a bit of a bind because I have lots of. Jobs. To. Do. now that I am on leave/maternity leave.

Item no 1 = get new router.