Sunday 9 November 2014

Stir-up Saturday

Yesterday afternoon the jelly bean and I spent a happy half an hour mixing this year's Christmas cake.  She's a good helper, and is particularly enthusiastic about licking the bowl afterwards (well, who isn't?)

We used our normal recipe from Nigella Lawson's 'how to be a domestic goddess'. With a few tweaks here and there. I tend to omit the mixed peel and put in more cherries instead, and I use whatever alcohol is available in the drinks cupboard - this year the brandy ran out when I was soaking the fruit, so I brushed the top of the cake with whisky. I don't think anyone will notice.

Today I transferred the wrapped cake from its tin to an airtight container. The jelly bean was rather disappointed . She thought we would be icing it today. I sense a compensatory session of cake baking coming on, just to take our minds off the cake that is cooked, but not ready to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment